At Sumner Schick LLP, our Texas interior design attorneys are skilled, effective advocates for clients. We provide legal counsel and representation to interior designers and design firms. With experience advising residential designers and commercial designers, our firm handles the full range of legal issues. To arrange a virtual or in-person initial consultation with an interior design lawyer, please contact our Dallas law office today.
Interior Design Law: Our Practice
In our interior design practice, we assist professionals with the full range of issues that could affect their business. Whether you are negotiating an initial contract or you need representation in court, our Texas interior design law attorneys can help. Among other things, our attorneys are prepared to advise/represent you with:
- Forming and Structuring a Business: Similar to other skilled professionals, interior designers need to have the proper business structure in place. We can help you select and maintain entity status, so that your company is efficient and so you can effectively protect your personal assets against any potential design liability claim. Our attorneys have experience with sole proprietorships, LLCs, corporations, Limited Partnerships (LPs), and more.
- Contracts: When taking on a new job, an interior business must have the right contract. A well-drafted contract will spare you many headaches and ensure you get paid in full for your hard work. Along with other issues, a contract should address the scope of design services, terms for payment, process for change orders, and dispute resolution. We help interior design professionals with the negotiation, drafting, and review of contracts. In addition, should a dispute arise, our attorneys also have extensive experience representing clients in litigation.
- Collecting Payments: Unfortunately, you may run into problems recovering your fees from a residential or commercial customer. A significant portion of our interior design work is focused on helping professionals get paid what they are owed. One of the primary challenges facing interior designers is that they often cannot file a mechanic’s lien to get payment for their services. Without access to such a powerful collection tool, it is imperative that interior designers are represented by a skilled attorney. We know how to recover payments.
- Insurance Coverage: We advise clients on insurance issues and help them navigate claims and disputes. Your firm may obtain general liability insurance and/or builder’s risk insurance. If you have questions about interior design insurance, we are here as a resource.
- Defective Work and Liability: It is not uncommon for design professionals to run into problems with a contractor’s work. A customer may allege that a contractor that you hired (allegedly) performed defective work or provided inferior craftsmanship. In some cases, a residential property owner or commercial property owner may try to hold an interior designer liable for defective craftsmanship. We can help you resolve these issues. Our lawyer for interior designers will protect your business.
Contact Our Firm and Receive A Sample Interior Design Contract
Why Trust Sumner Schick for Legal Representation for Interior Designers
The business of Interior design law is complicated. We provide legal counsel to designers and companies navigating the thorniest issues associated with the profession. Our interior design law practice is headed up by Elisa C. Fox, a lawyer with extensive experience representing design professionals and design firms. When you get in touch with our Dallas office, you will have an opportunity to speak to a Texas Interior design attorney who can:
- Conduct an in depth evaluation of your legal issue;
- Answer questions and help you devise a strategy;
- Organize all documents and paperwork; and
- Take immediate action to protect your interests and get the best outcome.
You deserve personalized representation from an attorney who will put in the energy and resources to understand your case, your needs, and your objectives. We are committed to building strong, long-lasting relationships with our clients. Interior designers can rely on our team for forthright communication, professional service, and cost effective solutions.
Call Our Texas Interior Design Attorneys for Immediate Help
At Sumner Schick LLP, our Texas interior design lawyers represent every client with honesty, integrity, and the highest standard of professional skill. If you have any concerns about interior design law or you are involved in a legal dispute, we are more than ready to help. For a completely confidential initial case evaluation, please do not hesitate to contact our team today. From our legal office in Dallas, we handle interior design law throughout the State of Texas, including in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Abilene, Midland, Lubbock and surrounding areas.