Currently, health care providers are governed by numerous laws, rules, and regulations as a condition of participation in the market more than ever before. This unprecedented level of regulation can be overwhelmingly convoluted and often requires skilled guidance to navigate. Compliance plans are mandated under certain federal and state programs, including Medicare, Medicaid, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH).
At Sumner Schick, not only do we understand health care law and the industry, but we are also thoroughly versed in the intricacies of the complex health care market. This experience and knowledge uniquely position us to provide clients with both valuable legal and business advice. When retained as counsel, we carefully consider our clients’ business goals and priorities to devise creative, strategic solutions.
Our Health Care Practice is led by Vern Clemons, an industry veteran with more than fifteen years’ experience counseling health care providers regarding business and legal risks. Her experience counseling health care providers on compliance matters and negotiating win-win solutions for complex deals equips her with the requisite skills to help clients overcome both ongoing, day-to-day obstacles and more multifaceted, long-term legal hurdles.
Our experience and practice areas include:
- Anti-kickback Statute, Stark Law, and False Claims Act
- Counseling on strategies and negotiating complex deals
- Creating and implementing internal compliance programs
- Implementing physician-safe investment entities
- Negotiating pharmaceutical manufacturing, sales, and distributor agreements
- Counseling on acquisitions, transactional closings, and joint ventures
- Contract drafting and negotiating
- Compliance and contractual training for Senior Management, Sales Force, and Marketing and Clinical personnel